8.27.2008

Peter's Prayer

"I need Thee, O Lord, for a curb on my tongue; when I am tempted to making carping criticisms and cruel judgments, keep me from speaking barbed words that hurt, and in which I find perverted satisfaction. Keep me from unkind words and from unkind silences. Restrain my judgments. Make my criticisms kind, generous, and constructive. Make me sweet inside, that I may be gentle with other people, gentle in the things I say, kind in what I do. Create in me that warmth of mercy that shall enable others to find Thy strength for their weakness, Thy peace for their strife, Thy joy for their sorrow, Thy love for their hatred, Thy compassion for their weakness. In thine own strong name, I pray. Amen."
~Peter Marshall

"A Man Called Peter" is my favorite novel. It is based on the life story of Peter Marshall, written by his wife, Catherine.
Most people are familiar with Catherine Marshall's books, "Christy" and "Julie" but I hope that more people will read "A Man Called Peter". Peter Marshall was a Scottish immigrant who traveled to America because he felt the Lord wanted him to spread his message there. It took him awhile, but eventually, he saved enough money and he earned his Seminary degree. He preached at a few churches in Georgia before receiving a call to preach at "The Church of the Presidents" or better known as "New York Avenue Presbyterian Church". His influence in Washington was phenomenal and he went on to become the chaplain for the US Senate. The prayer above is one that is taken out of a book of prayers that Catherine compiled after his untimely death.

If you don't want to read the book, I would suggest watching the movie at least. It is a very inspirational story that will give you another view of how great the Lord's work is in the lives of His people.

No comments:

Post a Comment