4.03.2009

Warrior of the Year Update #1


Being an army wife is a new experience for me!
Todd and I are in Des Moines, IA for the Warrior of the Year competition. Todd has already won for our region, but now he is competing against soldiers from Nebraska, Kansas, and Minnesota. He is one of four sergeants competing. There are others here as well, but the only ones he is being judged against are those three.

We got here yesterday afternoon and checked in. Met the soldiers and commanding officers. Ate some Iowa Chops (they made a big deal of those pork chops, but I didn't think they tasted any different than Oklahoma Chops), and then Todd had to take a 25 question test and write an essay. He felt like he did really well.

I am the only family member that came! We didn't find out until we arrived that Todd has to stay in the barracks with the other soldiers. We had a reservation for a apartment on base, but they asked if I wanted to stay with the female soldiers in the barracks because it was free!! Yikes! I have NEVER liked community showers...and I can guarantee that I NEVER will. NO BARRACKS FOR ME!
When we found that I didn't get to stay with Todd, I felt a little tear well up, but I told myself that I had to be tough because I was surrounded by soldiers. And I was tough. I felt proud of my secret victory.

This morning began at 0430 for the soldiers. I met them at the area for PT training at 0530. They did the push up and sit up physical fitness test and Todd won both of them I think. I know he for sure won the push ups. He had to do as many as he could in 2 minutes. He did 87 push ups and 79 sit-ups.

After that they had a 2 mile run. He has been training for this and has run that in less than 12 minutes, but today it was 31 degrees and he ran it in about 13 minutes. He came in third for that. He was a little disappointed, but it was FREEZING and he has a pretty bad chest cold on top of that. So, I was still proud!

At 1030 we went out to the rifle range where they had to qualify with M16s. He told me he did okay, but I showed his paper to some of the people out there and they said that he did GREAT. He's so modest.

After that, the boys went to chow and I had to say goodbye for the day. They were going to do a DAY/NIGHT Land Nav course and I couldn't go watch that part. =( It sounded like fun though!

I probably won't see Todd again until tomorrow. At first I thought that I shouldn't have come, but I have had so many soldiers tell me how much it means to them to have family members there and Todd has thanked me time and time again for coming...I just told him that someday, when he is a CRNA he's just going to get to make it up by taking me on a great vacation to Hawaii or Europe. ;)

Tomorrow begins at 0700 at the Confidence Course where they will be tested mentally and physically. If you think of it, please pray for Todd this weekend. Primarily for his safety and health!

Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment